If you are going to travel to the United States or Canada, the best thing you can do is to hire the best international travel insurance or private medical insurance, since their medical assistance is not free as in Spain or other countries in Europe or Latin America. And not only is it not free, but it is one of the most expensive in the world. In other words: the plaster that you might need if you break a leg could cost you more than the whole trip, why not worth it? We help you choose the best travel insurance for the United States or Canada.
WHY IS MEDICAL / HEALTH INSURANCE NECESSARY FOR YOUR TRIP TO THE US OR CANADA?
It is always advisable to take out travel insurance to travel quietly, but especially for the United States or Canada, precisely because of this lack of free healthcare and for the prices of some health services, even the smallest and most basic ones. Some examples: a simple consultation or a bandage costs a minimum of € 300, having to call the ambulance at least € 700, spending a day admitted to the hospital over € 2,000 and a simple appendicitis operation can cost € 50,000. So it is best to save on other aspects of the trip and never stop hiring travel insurance.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST TRAVEL INSURANCE TO THE UNITED STATES OR CANADA
To choose your travel insurance to the United States or Canada there are two fundamental things to keep in mind: trust and coverage. As for trust, it is good to know the experiences of other people who have tried it. And regarding the coverage, for the US and Canada we recommend coverage of medical expenses as high as possible: preferably a minimum of € 200,000, because if an appendicitis operation costs € 50,000, imagine how much a more serious one could cost…
COMPARISON OF COVERAGE AND PRICES OF THE BEST TRAVEL INSURANCE TO THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA: MAPFRE, AXA, INTERMUNDIAL, EUROP ASSISTANCE …
As we discussed talking about how to choose the best travel insurance, we in recent times and in particular from our great one-year trip, we always choose IATI travel insurance. Unfortunately, we have had to use it on more than one occasion – although for problems that, fortunately, we’re small – and we have always done very well, responding quickly and efficiently. Therefore, we have reached an agreement with them to offer our readers a 5% discount on their travel insurance.
Although we are already faithful to IATI, we never stop exploring all the opportunities offered by the other insurance companies. So here you have a small comparison of prices and medical coverage of travel insurance of some of the largest insurance companies. The price is calculated for a 14-day trip to the United States or Canada (leisure trips without cancellation, adventure or cruise). We have always considered coverage equal to or greater than € 200,000 in medical expenses, which is the minimum we recommend for the United States or Canada. They are sorted by price from lowest to highest with that condition.
COMPARISON OF PRICES OF TRAVEL INSURANCE COMPANIES FOR THE US AND CANADA
- IATI Estrella Mundo : € 78.16 (5% discount, in this case € 74.25 by clicking on this link ) with medical expenses coverage of € 200,000 or, with more coverage, IATI Estrella Premium for € 86.60 ( 5% discount, in this case € 82.27 by clicking on this link ) with medical expenses coverage of € 500,000 . There are cheaper options, but with lower coverage, not recommended for the US or Canada.
- ARAG Traveler Plus Doctor: € 87.69 with the maximum coverage of medical expenses ( € 250,000 ).
- Intermundial: Total Travel € 91.18 with medical expenses coverage of € 300,000 and Total Travel Premium € 131.21 with medical expenses coverage of € 500,000.
- Allianz Assistance Premium Holidays: € 122.40 with coverage of € 200,000 of medical expenses.
- Europ Assistance Short Trip Premium Duration: € 135 with coverage of € 200,000 of medical expenses.